The AAS is a pan African organisation headquartered in Kenya, which aims to drive sustainable development in Africa through science, technology and innovation. It has a tripartite mandate of pursuing excellence by recognizing scholars and achievers; providing advisory and think tank functions for shaping the continent’s strategies and policies; and implementing key Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) programmes that impact on developmental challenges through the new agenda setting and funding platform, the Alliance for Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (AESA).
The Procurement Assistant is responsible for assisting in the management of the purchasing and supplies management functions through the application of professional procurement and inventory management practices.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Reviewing the usage of supplies to identify cost reduction and service improvements
- Assist Procurement Officer to raise Local Purchase Orders (LPO’s) within the finance system as per set thresholds
- Prepare payment requests for all purchases of goods and services, review and ensure all supporting documents including contracts are attached.
- Assist the Procurement Officer in verification and tracking of payment invoices received to avoid double payments
- Carry out supplier statement reconciliations with the general ledger for suppliers on credit terms
- Track all purchase requisitions received in the procurement office and provide regular status updates on the process to the users.
- Assist in documentation and retrieval of procurement documentations.
- Regular reconciliations of invoices received for payments against LPOs
- Support in the enforcement of service agreements with external parties
- Work with the Finance and Operations teams in asset tagging and verification.
- Stand in for the Procurement Officer when called upon.
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management or equivalent from a recognized institution;
- Registered member of KISM (Kenya Institute of Supplies and Management)
- CIPS (Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supplies) membership is desirable
Knowledge and Experience
- At least 3 years’ relevant experience in a busy procurement office
Skills and Attributes
- Demonstrate a high degree of sensitivity, confidentiality when dealing with internal and external customers.
- Ability to work with suppliers and build long term competitive supply relationships;
- A go-getter, enthusiastic, results oriented with excellent interpersonal, communication and social skills.
- A forward planner with clear focus, well-organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task
- Have a high sense of accuracy, attention for detail and with strong analytical ability.
- Business acumen, strategic thinker with ability to make sound decisions for the business
- Have good numeracy, problem analysis and reporting skills; and
- High moral standing with impeccable integrity.
All Applicants must submit a filled application form here, curriculum vitae, and a cover letter submitted by email to email@example.com, with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject no later than 17th April 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.