To provide guidelines to individuals and institutions accepting approved grants from the African Academy of Sciences (AAS). Acceptance of a grant activates the grant.
Individuals and institutions are free to accept or reject grants from the AAS. This will require formal communication of acceptance or rejection of a grant notification.
a) Notification of a Grant
- The AAS will prepare a grant notification as outlined in the AAS Award Letters procedure.
b) Actions Required from Individuals and Institutions Accepting Grants
- The requirement is to formally accept the award notification through an authorised signatory signing the Grants Start Certificate, unless stated otherwise in the Award Letter or Contract.
- Authorized signatories are individuals of senior authority in the grant receiving institution such as the Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice Chancellor in charge of Academics, Provost, Chief Executive Officer, Director of Research or equivalent. See the AAS Policy on Undertaking for more details.
- The Grant Start Certificate duly executed shall be emailed back to the relevant Programme Manager.
- No payments may be made on a grant until the Grant Start Certificate is received. Generally, expenses incurred before the official start date shall not be considered. However, in exceptional circumstances and with authorization from the relevant Programme Manager, grants-related expenses incurred before the official start date and/or back-dated start dates may be considered upon request from the prospective grantee.
c) Timelines for Accepting Grants
- Normally, an executed Grants Start Certificate will be returned to the AAS at most three (3) months after receipt of the Award Letter or Contract.
- Grantees can also defer the grant start date for a maximum of six (6) months from the date of the Award Letter or Contract.
- Should the grantee need to defer the grant start for a period exceeding six (6) months from the date of the Award Letter or Contract, this intention with justification should be formally communicated to the relevant Programme Manager for consideration.
d) Actions Required from Individuals and Institutions Rejecting Grants
- Individuals and institutions rejecting AAS grants are required to send a formal notification of this intention to the relevant Programme Manager.
- If no response is received from the prospective grantee six (6) months from the date of the Award Letter or Contract, the grant shall be considered rejected.