Grand Challenges Africa is a scheme aimed at inspiring innovation to address and significantly impact major health problems in Africa. The initiative, which is a partnership between the AAS-AESA and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will award seed and full grants based on the scope of the projects.
Vision and mission
- The GC Africa vision is to achieve extraordinary innovations that transformhealth and addresses other developmental challenges in Africa.
- The initiative's mission is to foster African-led scientific innovations that could help African countries achieve targets for the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Consolidate and improve on the gains made through Grand Challenges support to African scientists over the last decade. The Grand Challenges are the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Grand Challenges, Grand Challenges Canada and Grand Challenges for Development USAID.
- Undertake outreach and awareness campaigns to extend the reach of the Grand Challenges funding model in Africa.
- Define and set the agenda and priorities for future Grand Challenges in health and other development programmes in Africa.
- Jointly with partners and/or independently craft, run and manage future Africa- centric Grand Challenges calls