4 February 2016
Nairobi, Kenya

-IMMEDIATE RELEASE-

Twenty-nine early career scientists awarded fellowships to study the impact of climate change on the continent

Twenty-nine early career scientists from 24 African universities and research institutes have been awarded Visiting Fellowships to study the impact of climate change on the continent.

The fellowships were awarded as part of the  African Academy of Sciences (AAS) ‘s Climate Impacts Research Capacity and Enhancement (CIRCLE) programme.

The 29 CIRCLE Visiting Fellows (CVF s) will spend a year in another institution outside of their own researching the impact of climate change in five main thematic areas:

·         Agriculture

·         Water

·         Health and Livelihoods

·         Energy

·         Policy.

This is the second cohort of CVFs following the completion of the first cohort in December 2015.

An induction workshop for the second cohort of CVFs will be held as part of a series that will run from 8 to 16 February 2016 at the AAS secretariat in Nairobi, Kenya.

The induction workshop for the new CIRCLE Visiting Fellows will be held from 10 to 12 February 2016.

CIRCLE is supported by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) with a £4.5 million funding and the AAS and the Association for Commonwealth Universities (ACU) in the UK are jointly managing and implementing the programme.

Thirty-four CVFs were selected in 2015. The 34 will take part in a CIRCLE Completion Workshop taking place from 8 to 10 February 2016. CIRCLE has also recorded some success with the first cohort producing 30 publications from CIRCLE-funded research results comprising research articles in peer reviewed journals, review articles, blog posts, conference proceedings and book chapters by the end of 2015. CIRCLE also enabled CVFs to make 14 publications which are not from CIRCLE-funded research results.

Eighty percent of cohort 1 CVFs presented findings from their CIRCLE-funded research at international conferences across the globe in 2015. Read more about their achievements here.

CIRCLE will offer a total of 100 fellowships in the five years of the programme. From the 63 CVFs awarded to date, 52 percent are male while the remaining 48 percent are female. A scientific proposal development workshop will be held on 15 and 16 February to train early career female scientists on how to apply for CIRCLE Visiting Fellowships.

“This is being done to ensure that we have a 50/50 ratio of male and female CVFs by close of awarding 100 fellowships,” said Benjamin Gyampoh, the CIRCLE programme manager at AAS.

Media Contact:

Deborah-Fay Ndlovu
d.ndlovu@aasciences.ac.ke         +254 727 660 760 | +254 20 806 0674

Editors notes and contacts

About CIRCLE

CIRCLE is an initiative to develop the skills and research results FOR early career African researchers in the field of climate change. Over a course of five years, beginning in 2015, the –together with the UK-based Association of Commonwealth Universities–will provide a 100 fellowships to 40 post-masters and 60 postdoctoral researchers to spend a year in institutions outside their own studying the impact of climate change on the continent. The UK Department for International Development has provided £4.85 million for this initiative.

About the AAS

The African Academy of Sciences (AAS) is a pan-African organisation headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, that recognises individuals who have reached the highest level of excellence in their field of expertise and have made contributions to the advancement of the field in the continent. These individuals are recognised on merit and designated as fellows of the Academy.

There are about 350 AAS Fellows and Associate Fellows who are proven science, technology and innovation leaders, policy advisors and thinkers most of whom live and work throughout the continent.

About the ACU

The Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) is the world's first and oldest international university network, established in 1913.

A UK-registered charity, the ACU has over 500 member institutions in developed and developing countries across the Commonwealth. Drawing on the collective experience and expertise of our membership, the ACU seeks to address issues in international higher education through a range of projects, networks, and events.