|Position Title:||Programme Coordinator- Affiliates|
|Department||Strategy & Partnership Office|
|Position Location:||Nairobi, Kenya|
|Reporting to||Director Strategy & Partnership|
|Deadline||23 February 2018|
The AAS is a pan African organisation headquartered in Kenya, which aims to drive sustainable development in Africa through science, technology and innovation. It has a tripartite mandate of pursuing excellence by recognising scholars and achievers; providing advisory and think tank functions for shaping the continent’s strategies and policies; and implementing key science, technology and innovation (STI) programmes that impact on developmental challenges through the new agenda setting and funding platform, the Alliance for Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (AESA).
The development and management of an enhanced programme to support career development for the AAS Affiliates. The AAS set up the Affiliates programme in 2015 to recognise, mentor and help early career professionals develop into world class research leaders. Currently up to 25 outstanding young reseach leaders, who are PhD holders below 40, are selected by a competitive process every year. The aim of the programme is to provide mentorship and career development support including but not limited to attendance at conferences, symposia and workshops and other activities that will improve their skills in proposal development, grant writing and pitching innovations to help them secure grants, improve their publication records and ensure that their research impacts their communities.
They include but are not limited to:
- Working with the AAS Executive Director, Director for Strategy & Partnerships and the AAS Senior Adviser to develop and implement programmatic activities for AAS Affiliates.
- Build and manage highly collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve maximum impact for the Affiliates programme
- Develop individualised career development portfolios for a cohort of up to 125 Affiliates.
- Engage a range of potential partners to raise funding and ensure sustainability for the AAS Affiliates programme
- Build positive relationships and work in close partnership with colleagues in the AAS to ensure that the AAS Affiliates contribute to the effective delivery of AAS goals
- Engage with the scientific community in Africa and beyond to establish links between the AAS Affiliates programme and other organisations supporting career development for emerging reseach leaders.
- A PhD (or equivalent experience)
- 5-10 years of direct experience conducting research in Africa with significant publication record.
- Experience of providing mentorship to young researchers.
- Significant knowledge and understanding of the scientific landscape and grants funding environment in/for Africa and internationally.
- Familiar with the grants funding cycle, grants management procedures, systems and policies.
- Highly organised approach to work and ability to work independently.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and ability to relate well with senior members of universities, research institutes and partner organisations
- Strong emotional intelligence.
- Excellent networking and collaboration skills
- Ability to see the big picture and assimilate complex scientific information.
- IT literate with experience of using database and other computerised systems.
- Experienced in use of Microsoft Office products
All Applicants must submit a filled application form , curriculum vitae, and a cover letter submitted by email to email@example.com, with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject no later than 23 February 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.